Wednesday, November 28, 2007

One Dollar Hat

When I was in Minnesota for Thanksgiving, I managed to knit a hat. I have so many projects swimming in my head right now (for Christmas, for me...) that it's hard to sit down and focus. This hat wasn't even on the list of "necessary" knitting, but it had to be done. Besides, the yarn? It cost me $1. That's right. One dollar hat:

Natty by sweetbriar, on Flickr


Pattern: Natty Hat from Knit and Tonic
Yarn: Lion Brand Vanna's Choice in color 140 (Dusty Rose)
Needles: Size 8 clover dpns for the rim, 16" size 11 circular needle for the cap

Mods: I was kind of at a loss here because I only had size 8 dpns on me, even though it called for size 9 needles to cast on, and I didn't have gauge). So instead of 60 stitches, I cast on 66 with the size 8's. Hi, I don't swatch. I just guessed here, but it worked out perfectly (it fits just snugly enough without leaving obscene hat marks for the rest of the day).

I knit a 2x2 rib for the brim instead of a 1x1 rib, just out of personal preference (even though the 1x1 would have "worked better" with the hat pattern, I had already cast on six extra stitches, so this was moot, anyway).

While I did use the size 11 circs for the hat, and it fits nicely, I think that I would rather have a tighter cap (using a size 10 needle rather than the 11s), or use a more substantial yarn, even though the point is to have a cap that's not really winter wear. However loosely knit this hat is, though, I think it's lovely, and you really can't beat that price!

No comments: